A domain name must be assigned to your hosting to live a website. If your domain is a Main Domain of hosting then you don’t need to add the domain as Addon domain. Do you want to add additional domains to your hosting account? if yes then you need to create an Addon Domain.
What is the main domain?
The domain added to the hosting account at the time of purchase.
What is an Addon Domain?
An Addon Domain is an Additional added domain to the same hosting account. An Addon domain is a fully functional domain that can be created within your hosting control panel (cPanel) using the Addon Domain option.
Steps to create the Addon Domain?
- Log into your hosting account cPanel using your login details.
- In cPanel you will see a lot of sections go to domains section In this section click on the “Addon Domains” option.
- Now a new page will open with a form “Create an Addon Domain” with 4 fields and one checkbox option
- New Domain Name
- Document Root
- Create an FTP account associated with this Addon Domain.
- Now enter the new domain name in the “New Domain Name” field, for example, xyz.com
- The other two fields will fill auto with your entered domain name see the image below.
- You can change the “Document Root” path, it’s a path of the folder where site data(code file, images, etc.) will save. By default new added Addon domain add to the root directory and main domain pointed to public_html directory. If you want to create your addon domain under the public_html folder then change this like that public_html/exz.com. When you will start typing in the “Document Root” field and will press p from the keyword you will see directory structure will list down.
- Want to create an FTP account for this domain only then Check “Create an FTP account associated with this Addon Domain” checkbox.
- Finally, click on the “Add Domain” button, to add a new domain to your hosting account.
- The page will refresh and your added Addon domain will show under the form in the list of “Addon Domains”.
What is the difference in a Domain and Addon Domain?
An Addon Domain is exact same as your primary domain on the account. Addon domains mean additional domains hosted on the single hosting account that is the only difference. Otherwise, you will not see any difference in the code files, database, images and URL of your website.
Can I create an Addon Domain in cPanel?
No, An Addon domain created in cPanel work only if the domain is purchased by a domain provider and pointed to the hosting where you added addon domain using “NAMESERVERS” or an “A” record provided by your hosting provider.
Don’t know how to add NAMESERVERS?
How to point domain to hosting?
What to do after adding an Addon Domain?
You can upload all your code files, images and videos through the FTP account, Create a Database using cPanel, If your added domain pointed to your hosting then you can view your live site otherwise wait for 24-48 hours to view the site.
Don’t know how to upload files, images to server? Read also
How to create FTP account?